You can now earn a high school credit! Click here to learn more.
Update 04/21/2020: The 2020 Summer exchange has been cancelled due to current state of affairs surrounding COVID-19.
The Summer Exchange program offers students aged 13 to 17 the opportunity to participate in:
- A 3-Week Exchange with a partner from France, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, or Germany*
Ontario students spend 3 weeks visiting their exchange partner and host their partner for the same duration during the summer. Ontario students receive a language and cultural experience of their host destination and visiting students receive an English language experience while here.
“I got to experience so many new and wonderful events and activities in Spain. I met so many friends who willingly taught me Spanish without hesitation. My Spanish family will always be in my heart.”
- Madeline B., 12-Week Spain Exchange
* Some restrictions apply, contact ISE Ontario for more information
Go Abroad Late June, Return Late July
Host Late July to Mid/Late August
September to March
Students complete the application process with the required signatures, registration fee, and Vulnerable Sector Checks and submit to the ISE office by early March. Throughout March, successful applicants are matched with students of similar age and interests. Students then receive information about a proposed partner and submit acceptances by late March.
April to May
Approximately 2 weeks after acceptance, the ISE Office will give you a firm date when communication can commence with the exchange partner and family. The final payment is due in May.
Late June to Late July
Late June, Ontario students depart to visit their partners. Late July, the Ontario student and their exchange partner travel to Ontario together.
- Students in France, Spain, Italy, China or Germany spend 4 weeks on exchange in July
- Students in France & Switzerland spend 3 weeks on exchange in July
Late July to Mid-Late August
Mid-August, the 3-week French and Swiss exchange partners return home. Late-August, the 4-week French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese and German exchange partners return home.
Students who are well suited for an exchange:
- Are between 13 – 17 years of age
- Have a desire to learn and can benefit from enhanced language skills
- Have an interest in learning about their desired destination’s history and culture
- Are enthusiastic and eager to participate in new activities
- Have received medical clearance to participate in the suitable exchange
- Have received and are up to date with immunizations
- Are outgoing, personable and responsible
- Are not overly committed to time-consuming extracurricular activities, work, or social media
The applicant’s parent(s)/ family must:
- Have a home that: is clean and orderly; has adequate space for the visiting partner; is free of substance abuse, physical abuse, or any other form of abuse
- Be warm, caring and open; can host a student in a supervised, safe and comfortable atmosphere; can provide for all meals and the cost of family activities for the student during the hosting period
- Be willing and able to speak only English at home during the hosting period
- Commit to the reciprocal nature of the exchange program (hosting a partner for the time designated is required)
- Assume responsibility for ensuring their child has the travel documentation required for travel to/from Europe
- Submit a clear Vulnerable Sector Check for each adult aged 18 and over living in the host home(s) (dated within one year of the start of the hosting period)
- Maintain regular communication with the exchange partner’s parent(s)/family throughout the exchange period