About the Program
The elementary program offers grade 8 students the opportunity to participate in:
Students spend 9 weeks hosting an exchange partner in the fall and 9 weeks visiting their exchange partner abroad in the winter! Visiting students receive an English language experience while here, and Ontario students receive a French language experience while abroad.
Core, Extended, and Immersion French students are all eligible for an elementary exchange program.
Please keep in mind that the visiting student must have an English language experience while attending school here. As such, French Immersion school students should only apply for the Go First program (unless your school is a dual track school with an English stream). All other students can apply for either timeline.
Elementary students who are well suited for an exchange:
- Are active, outgoing, personable and responsible
- Are not overly committed to time-consuming extracurricular activities, such as competitive sports teams
- Have been away from friends and family before without great difficulty, such as attending summer camp
- Can benefit from enhanced French skills throughout their secondary school career
Elementary program applicants must:
- Have above average academic standing and a good attendance record
- Have up-to-date immunizations (required for school enrollment)
- Be recommended by their teachers and school principal
- Be able to greet their partner upon his/her arrival (late August, exact date T.B.A)
The applicant’s parent(s)/ family must:
- Have a home that: is clean and orderly; has adequate space for the visiting partner; is free of substance abuse, physical abuse, or any other form of abuse
- Be warm, caring and open; be able to host a student in a supervised, safe and comfortable atmosphere; can provide for all meals and the cost of family activities for the student during the hosting period
- Be willing and able to speak only English at home during the hosting period
- Assume responsibility for ensuring their child has the travel documentation required for travel to/from Europe
- Commit to the reciprocal nature of the exchange program (hosting a partner for the time designated is required)
- Submit a clear Vulnerable Sector Check for each adult aged 18 and over living in the host home(s) (dated within one year of the start of the hosting period)
- Maintain regular communication with the exchange partner’s parent(s)/family throughout the exchange year
Total Cost: $2,999
- $450 Registration Fee to be submitted by October 16, 2017
- Balance of $2549 due November 30, 2017
Participation costs for the 2018-19 Host First Exchange Program are:
Total Cost: $2,999
- $450 Registration Fee to be submitted by April 2, 2018
- 1st installment of $1275 due by July 13, 2018
- 2nd installment of $1274 due by November 30, 2018
Program fees include:
- Chaperoned international air travel from/to Toronto Pearson Int’l Airport in economy class on regular airlines
- Unchaperoned connecting flight in the host country, where required
- Travel insurance: trip cancellation and interruption, AND emergency medical /hospital
- Orientation tour or activity day in the host destination
- ISE administration fee
- Personal spending money
- Domestic flight/shuttle service to/from Toronto Pearson Airport (program is based into/out of Toronto Pearson Airport)
- Any fees or costs associated with domestic flight/shuttle to/from Toronto Pearson Airport (i.e. checked luggage)
- Excess or overweight baggage charges imposed by the airlines
- Expenses resulting from travel changes caused by events beyond the control of ISE Ontario.
“An exchange is like a ski hill. You get on that chairlift going up and up, so excited yet nervous because you don’t know what’s coming. You get off the chairlift and start your way down the hill, fall a couple times but you get back up. You’re still not used to this hill so at the beginning you may be a little off balance but as you start to know the hill, you know what to do and it gets easier. You might trip or lose your balance a couple times, but that’s okay, because while going down that hill you feel so free, you’re having a lot of fun and experiencing something new. But once you get to the bottom, it’s over, you’re happy to be back on flat ground but want to go back on that hill!”
The deadline to apply for the 2018 Go First program is October 16, 2017.
Host First Program:
The deadline to apply for the 2018-19 Host First Program is April 2, 2018.